Madeira and Maple Glazed Onions
2 lbs pearl or boiling onions
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup Madeira wine
2 Tbsp maple syrup
¾ tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp parsley, minced (optional)
1. Boil the onions for 5 minutes.
2. Plunge drained onions in an ice bath for 2-3 minutes.
3.Peel the onions by cutting the root end and then squeezing. The onion will pop out, leaving the skin behind.
4. Melt butter and heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.
5. Add the onions and sauté until slightly golden.
6. Lower to a simmer, add Madeira, maple syrup and salt. Cover for 12-15 minutes until onions are tender.
7. Uncover, raise heat to medium to reduce liquid to a glaze and the onions turn a golden brown.
8. Garnish with minced parsley.