Turnip and Potato Gratin
- 5-6 Large Russet Potatoes
- 5-6 Turnips (I recommend hakurai Japanese turnips for their mild flavor!)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half & half
- 4-5 shallots, diced
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Thyme, minced
- 3 - 4 sprigs thyme for garnish
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel both the potatoes and turnips. Slice them 1/4” thick with a knife (but a mandoline works wonders!)
- Heat the cream, half and half, minced garlic, shallots and thyme in a saucepan on low until it comes to a gentle boil.
- Meanwhile, in a 9 X 13 baking dish, layer the turnips and potatoes, alternating them as you go.
- Pour the cream mixture over the top and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cook time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 4-6 servings