- 1 qt. whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar (more or less)
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 - 1 Lemon Zest
- 5 eggs beaten
- 5 heaping tsp sugar
- Flan Baking dish: 1 quart glass baking dish or about 12 small ramekins/custard cups.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Mix the milk, cinnamon and the lemon zest in a saucepan. Put over medium heat and allow to boil.
- While the milk is cooking, melt ½ cup of sugar in sauce pan until sugar turns a deep amber, stir consistently.
- . Quickly pour into Flan baking dish and immediately tilt dishes to coat sides. Put aside to cool (you know they are cooled when the caramel cracks).
- When the milk begins to simmer remove from heat and put aside to cool completely.
- In a separate bowl mix eggs and 5 heaping teaspoons of sugar. Once the milk has cooled, combine with the egg mixture. Then pour through a sieve and place in baking dish.
- Place baking dish into a bain-marie. You can make your own by placing the flan dish in a deep baking pan. Pour enough hot water into baking pan to come half-way up the flan dish.
- Bake until center of flan is gently set, about 40 minutes. Take flan dish out of the bain-marie and chill for 2 hours. Cover and chill over-night.
To serve Directions
- Run a knife around the edge of the flan. Tip over and gently shake until flan comes out. Lift the dish and allow the caramel syrup to run over the flan.
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 50 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour & 10 minutes
Yield: 1 quart glass baking dish or about 12 small ramekins/custard cups