Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- 4 lbs Tomatoes, chopped and drained
- 2 1/2 Cups onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups green peppers
- 1 cup jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 cup canning salt
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn kernels
- Boiling Water Canner
- Canning Jars
- Canning Funnel
- Rubber Spatula
- Jar lifter and/or tongs
Preparing Jars Directions
- Place cans on rack of boiling water canner, add water until the pint jars are about 2/3rds full. Cover and bring to a simmer. This process kills any bacteria. In a small saucepan, place the lids - the flat, round piece, cover and bring to a simmer. The screw bands do not need to sterilized.
Preparing Vegetables Directions
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring occassinally for about 5 minutes.
Canning Salsa Directions
- One jar at a time, remove from canner, pouring hot water back into canner, place jar on flat heat-resistant surface.
- Ladle salsa into jar leaving about a half inch of headspace, wipe the rim and threads with a paper towel. ( This is important to make sure vacuum seal can occur).
- Lift a hot lid with your tongs and place on jar and then screw the lid with your fingertips until tight. Place back in canner with tongs. Repeat until done.
- Cover all jars with additional water by an inch or so. Cover canner and bring to a boil. The boiling must be continuous and rapid for 15 minutes.
- emove lid, let sit for about 5 minutes or so. Remove jars without tilting, place jars on a towel in a draft-free spot and allow to cool for 24 hours. Store in a cool dark place for up to a year.
Yield: 6 Jars