- 1 lb grated cheese (preferably cheddar)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup butter
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Make a white sauce by melting the butter and adding the flour.
- Make a white sauce by melting the butter and adding the flour. Mix until smooth for about 3 minutes.
- Now add the milk and stir constantly until thick. Remove from heat.
- Add grated cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl. Then add the yolks 2 at a time to the cheese mixture.
- Place in a buttered soufflé pan. Place pan in another pan of hot water and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately. Excellent with a salad.
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings