Teresa Tavares’ Sopa de Couve - Portuguese Kale Soup
- 2 quarts water
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- Sea Salt to taste
- 2-16 oz Red Kidney Beans
- 8 cups chopped kale leaves washed and rinsed without stems
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves washed and rinsed without stems
- 6 Medium potatoes peeled washed and cubed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 oz Gaspar’s Linguica cut into ½-inch rounds
- In a 4-quart pan, bring the water and broth to a boil
- Add onion, garlic and sea salt to taste and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the 2 cans of red kidney beans and simmer for 3 minutes
- Add the kale, cabbage, potatoes, linguica and olive oil and simmer on low until cabbage and kale are tender/cooked.
- Let sit for ½ hour before serving.
- Best served with Portuguese corn bread (recipe to come after I've made it!!)
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour & 10 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings