Potato Leek Soup
- 4 large leeks (6-8 small), white part only, chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8-10 cups, water or chicken broth
- 2-3 tsp sea salt (this is a taste thing)
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped *
- Pancetta cubed and pan-fried or bacon for garnish
- Chives chopped for garnish
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a soup pot.
- Add the leeks and sauté for about 2 minutes, then add the celery and potatoes.
- Saute on low-medium heat for 5 minutes or so until slightly golden and aromatic, then add the garlic, and stir into the other ingredients.
- Add the broth or water, bring to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can be whipping the cream, browning the pancetta and chopping the chives. * You can add the cream directly to the soup. However, I find the presentation is lovely and if anyone is dairy-free, they can forego the whipped cream.
- When the potatoes are soft, remove from heat. In batches, puree in a blender or food-processer. Return to soup pot.
- To serve, add a dollop of whipped cream, and sprinkle with pancetta and chives.
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cook time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour & 20 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings