Mini Cream Puffs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In medium saucepan combine water, butter, salt, and sugar. Bring it to a full boil.
- Remove from the heat, and add vanilla.
- Add flour all at once and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon to form a ball. Place dough in a bowl of a stand mixer and set aside.
- In a small bowl lightly beat 3 eggs, separate 4th egg and placing white in a small dish and beat lightly. With mixer at low gradually add egg mixture with flour mixture, once all in, increase speed to medium. Stop mixer , test dough- make sure it is supple enough to hold its shape but not pasty- if it is stiff then add the egg white.
- On baking sheet covered with parchment paper, place 1 tsp balls. Using a spritzer, lightly spray with water one up from bottom rack
- Bake at 450 and lower to 425 for 15 minutes. No peeking at all.
- Open oven and pierce each cream puff with a tooth pick to let steam escape. This helps make them dry and bake them for 7 minutes. Once they are done place on wire rack to cool. They freeze easily for up to 1 month.
- Bring 3 cups of milk, sugar, and salt to simmer in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- In a large heat proof bowl whisk egg yolk and remaining 1 cup of milk until blended.
- Sift flour over egg yolks until smooth. When all milk is added – transfer to saucepan–back on heat beat in hot milk a little at a time.
- Cook stirring consistently over medium heat until it begins to boil.
- Reduce to low for 30 seconds, remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Cool.
Constructing Cream Puffs Directions
- Slice open cream puff, then add appropriate amount of cream.
- Prep time: 30
- Cook time: 25
- Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 20-25 cream puffs