Madeira and Maple Glazed Onions
- 2 lb pearl or boiling onions
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Madeira wine
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp parsley, minced (optional)
- Boil the onions for 5 minutes.
- Plunge drained onions in an ice bath for 2-3 minutes.
- Peel the onions by cutting the root end and then squeezing. The onion will pop out, leaving the skin behind.
- Melt butter and heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.
- Lower to a simmer, add Madeira, maple syrup and salt. Cover for 12-15 minutes until onions are tender.
- Uncover, raise heat to medium to reduce liquid to a glaze and the onions turn a golden brown.
- Garnish with minced parsley.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4-8 servings