Katja Rowell’s German Red Cabbage
- 2-3 Strips of bacon
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 1/4 lb. red cabbage, chopped
- 2 1/4 apples, cut small
- 1 cup apple cider
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & Pepper to Taste
- Apple cider vinegar to taste
- honey to taste
- Cook bacon and put the fat in a large dutch oven.
- Remove cooked bacon and dice medium onion and cook in the leftover bacon fat.
- Add chopped red cabbage, apples, cloves, apple cider and bay leaf to the onion-fat mix.
- Cook down on a low heat, checking and stirring frequently to be sure of enough liquid (1 ½ to about 2 hours).
- Add honey and apple cider vinegar to taste
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 2 hours
- Total time: 2 & 1/2 hours
Yield: serves 4-6 people