Cooper Boone’s Blue Ribbon Cornbread Stuffing
- 7 cups corn bread cubes – Cooper’s Corn Bread
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1/2 cup dried prunes
- 2 cups diced apples (Coop uses peeled Granny Smiths)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound spicy Italian ground sausage
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Make Cooper’s corn bread muffins.
- Make Cooper’s corn bread muffins (Recipe below).
- Tear apart into approximately one-inch pieces. Place in a large mixing bowl and drizzle 1/3 cup olive oil over bread cubes and toss with hands. Place on a cookie sheet and toast in oven until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large pan on medium heat and cook onions, apples, carrots, celery and garlic until just soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a separate pan, brown sausage until cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes, breaking it up into pieces with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Combine vegetable mixture and sausage in bowl with toasted bread cubes.
- Add chicken stock and mix thoroughly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place in a lightly greased baking dish (9x12 works best) and bake for 20 minutes.
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 servings