Chadwick Boyd’s Chipotle Pumpkin Pie with Candied Ginger Double Crust
Crust Ingredients Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (cold and cut into small cubes)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 6-8 Tablespoon Ice water
- 1/3 cup Chopped candied ginger
Pie Filling Ingredients Ingredients
- 2 cups pumpkin
- 2 cups milk or cream
- 1 cup brown or granulated sugar (pack brown sugar in cup)
- 2 eggs gently beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp Allspice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- Mix together flour, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in butter and shortening until its coarse.
- Add cold water and form ball of dough. (This can also be done in a food processor like we did in the show.) Put in fridge until cold.
- Roll out dough until just larger than pie plate and 1/3” for the thick crust.
- Form crust in pie plate and press in ginger bits.
- Blind bake the crust for 10 minutes.
Pie Filling Ingredients Directions
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Mix pumpkin, milk, sugar, beaten eggs, salt, spices, and heat for two minutes.
- Pour into pie tin lined with pastry.
- Place in the 475 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Lower heat to 400 degrees and bake 45 minutes or until firm.
- Keep an eye on the crust - you may want to cover the crust with tin foil to prevent from burning.
- Prep time: 45 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour & 45 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings