Caramelized Pearl Onions or Shallots
- 2 lb. onions(shallots or pearl onions work well)
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 cup Maderia Wine
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Boil the onions, without peeling, for 5 minutes.
- Drain and plunge into cold water.
- Pan fry the onions until they are slightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add Madeira, honey and salt—covering and simmering over low heat for 12-15 minutes.
- Simmer until the onions are tender then uncover and cook over medium until liquid is reduced to a glaze and is golden brown.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings