Watermelon and Beet Soup
- 1 bunch farm fresh beets, greens removed, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 vidalia onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil +/-
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-3 cups watermelon, seeded and chopped. What you want is equal parts beets to watermelon
- Fresh mint (some chopped and some not, for garnish and flavor) In my opinion, this makes the soup!
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss onions and beets with oil and place on baking sheet.
- Roast until beets are soft - 30 minutes. While they are roasting, cut up watermelon.
- Put beets and vegetable broth in a stockpot and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Strain solids and put solids in food processor (keep the liquid to add back in).
- Add watermelon to food processor and puree until smooth.
- Mix the puree and reserved liquid.
- Refrigerate for several hours. Serve cold, garnished with mint and enjoy!
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour & 10 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings