The Lanzetta/Murko Thanksgiving Stuffing - Italian Bread and Sweet Italian Sausage
- 12 cups cubed Italian Bread, toasted in the oven
- 1-2 lb. sweet Italian sausage (try to find in in bulk i.e not in the casing, but you can just cut the casing off if you cannot find it in bulk)
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 cups milk
- 2 bullion cubes
- 1/2 cup roasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tsp Bell’s Seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cube and toast the bread the day before you make the stuffing. Store, once they are cooled, in a large mixing bowl, covered lightly with tin foil.
- Saute the sausage in a large skillet until golden. Add the sausage to the bread cubes.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter, add the onions and celery, and saute until translucent. Add the onions and celery to bread cubes.
- In the same skillet, add the milk and bullion cubes and heat until bullion is dissolved and milk is warm. Pour over the bread cubes.
- Pour over the bread cubes. At this point you can mix together. The bread cubes will be absorbing the milk become a little soft.
- Add the pine nuts, parsley, Bell’s seasoning, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. This is when you will need to judge whether you need a little more milk or any additional seasonings as you don’t want your stuffing to be dry.
- Put the stuffing into an oven proof casserole dish. You can make it ahead and refrigerate but be sure that if it’s a glass dish that it comes to room temperature before you put it in the oven or it could crack.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden and heated throughout. Enjoy!
- Prep time: 1 hour
- Cook time: 20-30 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour & 30 minutes
Yield: 6-8 people