Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup chilled butter
- 1/2 cup lard (chilled)
Pie Filling Ingredients
- 1 pound rhubarb washed and cut into 1-inch pieces (remove any tough strings)
- 1 quart quart strawberries, hulled and halved (cut larger berries into smaller pieces)
- zest 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
Pie Crust Directions
- Combine sour cream, water, sugar, and salt in a small bowl.
- Cut butter and lard into the flour until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add sour cream mixture until dough forms.
- Divide dough in half and flatten into 2 discs.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
Preparing Filling and Pie Directions
- Roll out half of your pie dough and line a 9-inch pie plate. Trim excess from edges and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together rhubarb, strawberries, and lemon zest. In a separate bowl mix together sugar cornstarch, and salt.
- Just before adding the filling to the pie plate, toss the fruit in the dry ingredients.
- Brush the rim of the bottom pie crust with milk or egg wash.
- Roll out second half of dough and lay over the filled pie. Trim the edges, and tuck the top crust over the rim of the bottom crust to form a tight seal. Crimp into whatever pattern you like.
- Brush the top crust with milk or egg wash, sprinkle raw sugar, and cut a few slits to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes, turning the pie once halfway through.
- Lower heat to 350 and bake 30-40 minutes more, or until crust is golden and fully baked, and juices have thickened.
- Remove to a rack and allow to cool completely, at least one hour.
- Prep time: 30 minutes + 1 hour (Pie crust)
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Total time: 2 hours & 30 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings