- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter, unsalted
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3-4 carrots, chopped
- 2-3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 lbs ground chuck or a combo of beef, veal and pork in equal proportions. One additional point is if you can find grass fed chuck, try it - it provides such a robust flavor you may never use anything else. I used 2 lbs ground organic grass fed chuck for this evening's sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used skim because it's what I have on hand but 2% or whole is fine)
- 1 large can can diced tomatoes ( I used fresh romas and cherry tomatoes from my garden with a small can of tomato paste as it's what I had on hand tonight)
- Nutmeg to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter and heat oil in large saucepan. Add onions, carrots and celery and sauté until they begin to soften, around 10 minutes.
- Add meat and cook until no longer pink.
- Add milk and season with nutmeg. Continue to cook until milk is cooked off.
- Next add white wine and cook until it is evaporated.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another hour or so on low.
- Serve over spaghetti, linguini, or pasta of your choice. (Because Jim has celiacs disease, I use a gluten-free pasta and it's yummy too!)
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hr & 30 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours
Yield: 6-8 servings