Roasted Turnip Soup with Swiss Chard
- 4 Harukai Turnips - the root part only, sliced
- 6 Shallots - diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic - minced
- 1-2 Teaspoons fresh thyme - minced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cups Half and Half or Heavy Cream - depending on how indulgent you want to be
- 1/2-1 Cup Swiss Chard - chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine first six ingredients, place in roasting pan and roast for 25-30 minutes until tender and golden.
- Transfer into saucepan, add broth. Bring to a gentle boil, lower heat to a simmer and puree until smooth with an immersion blender if you have one. (Otherwise use a blender or a food processor.)
- Add in half and half and finish off with the chopped swiss chard.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes and serve.
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 6-8 servings