- 1 (5lbs) whole beef brisket
- 2-3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2-3 large onions, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 cup beef broth
- 2 1/2 -3 cup red wine
- 1 cup dried apricots: I used organic, unsulfured and left them whole
- 1 cup green olives, halved
- 1 cup prunes, slices
- Pepper & salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large dutch oven on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, then add the beef.
- Sear the beef for about 5 minutes on both sides until browned.
- Remove and season with salt and pepper.
- Add sliced onions and saute over medium heat for 10 minutes until golden.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic and tomato paste.
- Put meat back in, add cinnamon and then wine and broth to cover the meat. Add apricots, olives and prunes. Cover and place in oven.
- Turn the brisket once or twice while it's cooking for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
- Cool in refrigerator overnight.
- While the recipe says to defat the gravy, the brisket was so lean there was no fat and the gravy was a perfect consistency and did not need cornstarch to thicken.
- Slice the brisket while its cold, put back in gravy and reheat in a 350 degree oven.
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 3 hours
- Total time: 3 & 1/2 hour
Yield: 6-8 servings