Michael Wang’s Soba Noodle Soup
Dashi (Japanese cooking stock) Ingredients
- 3 large strips dried kombu (kelp/large seaweed)
- 1 1 Handful bonito flakes (dried tuna flakes; can also replace these with additional dried shiitake mushrooms if desired)
- 4 cups cold water
- 4 Dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cups Dashi stock from above
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 2 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
Soda Noodles Ingredients
- Dried soba noodles (1 bundle serves 1 person)
Dashi (Japanese cooking stock) Directions
- Soak dried kombu and shiitake mushrooms in cold water (about 20 minutes), then heat to a boil.
- Take out the kombu and shiitake from water and add a handful of the bonito flakes. Turn off heat and let everything sit for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let everything sit for about 10 minutes.
- Then strain out the liquid (which is the dashi stock). Make sure to press out the dashi from the bonito flakes.
- Add all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
Soba Noodle Directions
- Simply place the dried soba noodles in cold water in a pot and boil (cook according to directions on soba packaging).
Finial Soup Preparation Directions
- 1). Using the soup and soba noodles prepared as directed above and add any vegetables or proteins desired (tofu, scallions, shitake mushrooms, enoki mushrooms, napa cabbage, carrots etc). Add Togarashi pepper to taste.
- 2). Place soba noodles in a bowl, pour soup over noodles, then top with desired vegetables and/or proteins. Sprinkle with more togarashi pepper.
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cook time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour & 10 minutes
Yield: 2 servings