Madeline Finnerty’s Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 7 tbsp chilled butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-2 tbsp cold water
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 2 Egg Whites
- 6 Tbsp Sugar
- Mix together flour and salt and cut butter into small pieces.
- Work chilled butter into flour and salt mixture with hands until it is uniformly incorporated and the size of small pebbles.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl and add to butter and flour mixture.
- Dissolve sugar with salt in 3/4 cup water in a saucepan on the stove over low heat then increase heat until it boils.
- Mix cornstarch with remaining 1/4 cup water to a smooth paste.
- Take sugar syrup from heat and stir in cornstarch.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly until thick and clear. Take from heat.
- Beat egg yolks with lemon juice until slightly thick, stir into cornstarch mixture and bring just back to a boil.
- Take from heat, stir in butter and lemon rind and pour into pastry shell. Cool.
- Beat egg whites until they hold a stiff peak and then beat in two tablespoons sugar until mixture is glossy.
- Fold in remaining sugar with a metal spoon. Pile meringue on pie to cover it completely.
- Seal it to pastry to avoid shrinkage and sprinkle with sugar.
- To set rather than cook the meringue place in a low oven (275 F) for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- The consistency should be that of a marshmallow - firm to cut, yet soft with a crisp coating.
Yield: 8-10 servings