Helga Kaiser’s Christmas Goose
- 1 Goose washed and dried thoroughly
- 3-4 carrots, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 2-3 small onion, chopped coarsely
- 5-6 celery stalks, cleaned and sliced
- 1 orange cubed, leave peel on
- 1 large (or 2 small) apples, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 handful of thyme sprigs
- 1-1½ teaspoon salt (Helga uses a small palm-full)
- 1 ½ teaspoon pepper (Helga uses a small palm-full)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Place carrots, onion and celery in bottom of baking pan.
- Rub the goose with salt and pepper inside and outside.
- Place the orange, apple, onion, thyme in the goose’s cavity.
- Tie the goose in three places: the back, middle and legs. Make a box knot so you can easily untie it.
- Place goose on rack in roasting pan so fat can run off.
- Stab the exterior of goose with a fork; this is very important so the fat can drip out and skin becomes crispy.
- Add water ½-inch deep to pan. Put in oven for about 3 hours.
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cook time: 3 hours
- Total time: 3 1/2 hours
Yield: 8 - 10 servings