Heirloom Flourless Chocolate Cake
10” springform pan, greased (or wax/parchment paper will do)
1 12 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ c. unsalted butter
6 eggs – separated, room temperature
1 c. sugar
½ c chopped pecans
1 Tbs. Bailey’s Irish Cream
½ tsp. vanilla
1 pinch cream of tartar
2 c. whipping cream
¼ c. powdered sugar
2 Tbls. Bailey’s Irish Cream
2 oz. chocolate curls
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt chips, with butter, over hot water
3. Beat yolks in large bowl ( 5 mins., or until thick)
4. Beat in ½ c. sugar, 1 Tbls. at a time
5. Stir in chocolate, pecans, vanilla and Bailey’s
6. Beat whites with cream of tartar to soft peak
7. Gradually add remaining ½.c. remaining sugar. Beat stiff, not dry
8. Fold ¼ of whites into the chocolate cake mix
9. Fold the mix into the remaining whites
10. Pour into pan and bake 30 minutes @ 350 d.
11. Reduce oven to 275. Continue to bake 30 minutes
12. Turn off oven. Let cake stand in oven with door slightly ajar. About 30 minutes
13. Remove from oven. Dampen towel and place on top of cake for 5 minutes. Remove
14. Top of cake will crack and fall. Cool cake in pan
15. Remove springform when cool. Transfer cake to platter
16. Whip cream to soft peak. Beat in powdered sugar and remaining Bailey’s.
17. Spoon over top of cake and smooth. Sprinkle with chocolate curls.
18. Refrigerate 6 hours.
Let stand at room temp for 30 minutes before serving