Heavenly Carrot Soup
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. carrots, scraped and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Sprigs of cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Stir in the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until slightly wilted.
- Add the carrots, wine, and coriander.
- Cover the pot and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are mashably soft.
- Remove from the heat and cool enough to handle.
- Puree the carrot mixture, along with 1 cup of the broth, in a food processor or through a food mill.
- Return the puree to the pot and stir in the salt, pepper, and remaining 3 cups of broth.
- Reheat and serve right away if serving warm, or cool, and chill if serving cold.
- Garnish with the cilantro, if using, just before serving.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes Serves 3 to 4
Yield: Serves 3 to 4