Healing Miso Soup
- 2-3 Red Onions, coarsely chopped, keep the peels
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into quarters
- 4-5 garlic bulbs, peeled and smashed
- 5-6 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp turmeric
- 12 cups water
- 1 kabocha squash, washed, cut up and seeded
- 1/2 cup miso, strained into the soup
- 1 package firm tofu, cubed
- Combine all ingredients including the onion peels except the miso, tofu and kabocha squash.
- Simmer for one hour or more. Strain the vegetables.
- While the vegetables are simmering, place the kabocha squash into a saucepan. Add water to cover up to half of the squash, cover and steam until the squash flesh is soft.
- Pour the kabocha broth into the other vegetable broth. Save the kabocha to eat as a side vegetable with a dribble of coconut oil and sea salt.
- Put the miso into a fine strainer. Dip the strainer into the liquid and press the back of a spoon into the miso to squeeze out the liquid and leave the solids.
- Add the tofu. Heat but Do NOT boil. Serve and Enjoy!
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 6-8 servings