Grilled Onion and Cheeseburger from the National Onion Association
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 large yellow or white onions, cut into ½ inch thick slices
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 4 white or whole-wheat hamburger buns, or Kaiser rolls, split
- 3 ounces crumbled or shredded cheese (blue cheese, smoked mozzarella, goat cheese, feta, etc.) * Any type of sliced cheese may also be used to top burgers, including Cheddar, Swiss, provolone and Gouda.
- Combine ground beef, thyme and garlic in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Gently shape into eight 1/2-inch thick patties. Brush both sides of onion slices with oil.
- Place patties and onion slices on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill patties, uncovered, 11 to 13 minutes, turning occasionally. Meat should cook to medium doneness (160°F) until no longer pink in center and juices show no pink color.
- Grill onions 15 to 20 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally and brushing with oil.
- Add desired cheese to burgers about 1 minute before removing from grill. Place cheese-topped burgers on bottom of each bun and top with 1/2 of grilled onions. Close sandwiches.
- Cover and refrigerate remaining 4 burgers and onions to use in “Meatballs” & Pasta with Grilled Onions & Fresh Tomato Sauce.
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings