French Onion Soup
- 10-12 Medium-Large Onions, Peeled and Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme or a few fresh sprigs
- 1/2 cup Sherry
- 8-10 cups Beef Broth
- Gruyere Cheese
- A few slices of bread (optional if you are gluten intolerant or watching your carb intake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a dutch oven, put your onions, butter, olive oil, bay leaves and thyme. Bake covered for about an hour.
- Remove from oven and stir. The onions should be nicely browned but not 100% caramelized yet. Put back in oven for another 30-60 minutes until caramelized.
- On top of the stove on medium heat, add the sherry to deglaze the pan, then add the beef broth and cook for another 20 minutes or so.
- You are now ready to make the individual servings. In oven proof soup bowls, add the soup, a crusty piece of bread and a generous amount of grated gruyere to cove the entire top.
- Place under broiler and remove when cheese is melted and golden.
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 2 hours & 30 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours & 45 minutes
Yield: 8- 10 servings