Eggplant “French Fries”
- 2 medium eggplant
- 1 cup rice flour (but may need more)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- pepper to taste
- Canola oil for frying (enough to fill your frying skillet of choice)
- Cut the eggplant into 1/2” rounds and then into 1/4 inch strips (do not peel).
- Place eggplant in large bowl and cover with water and ice cubes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight.
- Mix rice flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Heat oil in a skillet. I do a tester to see if the oil is hot enough. If the tester sizzles and appears to be browning it is hot enough.
- In small batches, toss the eggplant in the rice flour mixture, coat completely and then place into the hot oil. Be patient. Let them sizzle and cook until golden - could be 5 minutes.
- Remember that the oil is hot but the eggplant is cold so the oil has to come back up to temperature. Once they are golden, remove and place on a tray covered with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil and sprinkle with additional salt t taste. Let them cool a little - they taste better. I served them with burgers as a french fry alternative.
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings