Dawn DeAngelis’ Winter Green Salad with Walnuts and Apples
- 2 red apples such as Gala or Idared
- 1/2 cup cinder vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (3 oz.) walnut halves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch (1 lb.) collard greens
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Make pickled apples: Directions
- Quarter and core apples, then cut each quarter lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- Boil vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and pickling spice in a saucepan, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Add apples and return to a boil. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and cool. Chill, uncovered, until cold, about 1 hour.
Prepare nuts while apples chill: Directions
- Toast walnuts in oil in a small skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until a shade darker.
- Cool nuts in oil. Transfer nuts to a cutting board with a slotted spoon, reserving oil.
- Coarsely chop 1 tablespoon nuts and finely chop remaining nuts.
Preparing Collard Greens Directions
- Halve each collard leaf lengthwise with kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cutting out and discarding center ribs.
- Stack leaves and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Transfer to a large bowl.
Just before serving Directions
- Transfer all nuts and oil from skillet to collards and toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.
- Add apple slices, discarding pickling liquid and spices, and toss again.
- Prep time: 1 hour
- Cook time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour & 30 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings