- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter
- 1 cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Canola Oil Canola Oil for greasing
- Candy Thermometer
- Line an 8 x 8 pan with foil and brush with canola oil.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat cook the sugar without stirring until it begins to melt and boil at which time you can stir slowly with a metal spoon until melted (about 1 minute).
- Remove from heat and add cream. The sugar will harden almost immediately. Then add in the butter and corn syrup.
- Attach candy thermometer and return saucepan to stove over low heat, stirring occasionally for around 30 minutes until mixture liquefies. (This is a challenging spot as it seems as though it will never happen and then it just does.)
- Once that happens, turn the heat up and cook caramel mixture until the thermometer reaches 238 degrees F.
- Remove from stove and stir in the vanilla. Then pour into prepared 8 x 8 pan. Cool caramel for at least 30 minutes, lift from pan, remove foil and place on an oiled cutting board.
- Using an oiled knife, cut caramel into 1" squares. (I found it worked best when the caramel had sat for a while on the cutting board and when I ran my knife under hot water and then oiled it - the caramel did not stick to the knife.)
- Wrap the individual pieces in 4 x 4 wrappers and then package them in a larger plastic bag with pretty ribbon.
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour & 10 minutes
Yield: 64 pieces 1'' pieces