Broccoli Rabe or Bitter Greens - The Italian Way
- 1-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2-3 Cloves Chopped Garlic
- A Pinch Red Hot Pepper Flakes
- 2-3 Bunches Broccoli Rabe
- OR 1/2-3/4 lb Bitter Greens
- For the Broccoli rabe, my Mom always stripped the leaves and flowers from the stem as she found it hastens the steaming time (and the stems are often tough.)
- Wash thoroughly but it is not necessary to dry.
- Place saucepan on medium flame, heat the olive oil, add garlic until lightly golden (watch not to burn the garlic), then add your pinch of red pepper flakes and then the greens (broccoli rabe or bitter greens).
- Stir gently and place lid on pan to steam for 15-20 minutes.
- If it looks too dry, add a little water so it steams nicely.
- Serve with a couple of nice pieces of Italian bread and enjoy!
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 35- 40 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings