Aunt Frances’ Pasta with Cauliflower and Bacon
- 1 Head cauliflower, washed, cored, and cut up
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1 cup pasta water
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- I start by simultaneously, boiling a pot of water and sautéing the bacon. Cook the bacon until crisp, and place on a paper towel to absorb the extra fat.
- While the bacon was cooking, I divided the cauliflower head into florets and tossed into the boiling water. I remove the cauliflower with a strainer, as I reuse the water to cook the pasta.
- Meanwhile, I sauté the onions in the bacon fat until nicely browned and caramelized. Then, I add the cooked cauliflower.
- When the pasta is al dente, remember to remove a cup of pasta water before you drain it. The pasta water is to both deglaze the pan and to create a bit of a sauce. Add the cooked pasta, Parmesan, and cut up bacon to the pan. Using your judgement, add pasta water to make it juicier and to deglaze. Toss together and serve!
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 8-12 servings