- 25 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 12 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 12 1/2 cups green peppers, chopped
- 6 1/4 cups jalapeno pepper, chopped ( we love it spicy so I leave most of the seeds)
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, minced
- 3 tbsp salt & Pepper to Taste
- 3 1/3 cup vinegar
Canning Equipment Ingredients
- boiling water canner
- canning jars
- canning funnel
- rubber spatula
- jar lifter and/or tongs
Prepare your jars as follows: Directions
- Place cans on rack of boiling water canner, add water until the pint jars are about 2/3rds full.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. This process kills any bacteria.
- In a small saucepan, place the lids - the flat, round piece, cover and bring to a simmer. The screw bands do not need to sterilized.
Preparing Vegetables Directions
- To peel your tomatoes, boil some water in a large sauce pan. Blanch the tomatoes for about a minute and immediately place in a cold water bath. The skin peels off easily.
- Now you are ready to seed and chop. In a very large saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally for about 10-15 minutes.
Canning Salsa Directions
- One jar at a time, remove from canner, pouring hot water back into canner, place jar on flat heat-resistant surface.
- Ladle salsa into jar leaving about a half inch of headspace, wipe the rim and threads with a paper towel. ( This is important to make sure vacuum seal can occur).
- Lift a hot lid with your tongs and place on jar and then screw the lid with your fingertips until tight. Place back in canner with tongs. Repeat until done.
- Cover all jars with additional water by an inch or so. Cover canner and bring to a boil. The boiling must be continuous and rapid for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid, let sit for about 5 minutes or so. Remove jars without tilting, place jars on a towel in a draft-free spot and allow to cool for 24 hours.
- Store in a cool dark place for up to a year. This recipe will yield about 24 pint jars. Enjoy!!
- Prep time: 2 hours
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Total time: 4 hours
Yield: 24 pint jars