Jo Murko’s Chocolate-Dipped Cherry Almond Biscotti
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 6 cups flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 tsp grated orange peel
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cup toasted, coarsely chopped almonds
- 1 1/2 pounds semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 3/4 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 325 deg.
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl. Add eggs one at a time beating until just blended.
- Mix in orange peel, baking soda and salt.
- Add three cups flour, nuts and dried cherries. Stir till well blended.
- Add flour, one cup at a time, stirring until well mixed.
- Transfer dough to floured work surface and divide into four equal parts. Knead each piece until dough holds together.
- Form each piece into a nine-inch long three-inch wide log. Place two logs in each of two large ungreased baking sheets, about three inches apart.
- Bake until golden and feel firm. Rotate sheets halfway through baking—about 55 minutes.
- Remove logs to cutting board—cut into ½-inch thick slices.
- Arrange cut side down on the baking pan and bake 10 minutes.
- Remove biscotti from the oven and turn over to other cut side then bake another 10 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in a double-boiler, stirring.
- Carefully remove chocolate from water and dip cut side of each biscotti into chocolate.
- Place biscotti, chocolate side up, on a baking sheet.
- Chill until the chocolate is firm. Store in airtight container or wrap in foil and freeze.
- Prep time: 25 minues
- Cook time: 1 hour & 20 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours
Yield: makes 3 dozen biscotti