Helga Kaiser’s Dumplings
- 1 Baguette, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 stick Butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 Bouillon Cube
- Salt & Pepper to tate
- Beat together the milk and 2 eggs.
- Soak baguette in the egg and milk mixture.
- In a frying pan, melt butter, sauté parsley and pour over bread mixture. Let soak for ½ hour to an hour- it needs to be firm not loose –Helga says she has “Fingerspitz gefuehl” – “feel in the tips of the fingers.”
- Boil a pot of water adding the Bouillon cube
- Using a white linen napkin, sprinkle with flour, spread mixture into the shape of a tube and tie both ends of the napkin (like a sausage).
- Put in boiling water for about an hour. Remove from water and let stand/set. Then slice up and serve dumplings with goose.
- Prep time: 40 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour & 40 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings