Cooper Boone’s Turkey
- 10 slices raw bacon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs sage
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- crake cracked pepper
- 1 orange
- (Use your favorite herbs and be creative!)
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Food process all ingredients except the orange until smooth.
- Stuff mixture under the skin of the turkey. Use a knife to cut an opening between the skin and flesh of the turkey, then use a spatula to open up the skin.
- Stuff orange inside cavity of turkey.
- Put the turkey, breasts face down in the roasting pan, cover with aluminum foil to bake. This will keep it moist, as the breasts are the driest part.
- Roast until meat thermometer reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Broil the turkey skin to make it crisp at the end but don’t overcook it.
- Once the bird reaches 165F, leave the thermometer inside the bird, remove from oven and leave the foil on.
- Let it sit for at least 20 minutes then carve!
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 4-5 hours
- Total time: 5 hours
Yield: Servings Depend on size of Turkey. I figure about 1 1/2 pounds per person