Lisa Newmann’s Purple Summer Salad
- 1 red cabbage
- 2 granny smith apples ( or any sweetish/tartish apples)
- 1 spanish onions
- 2 tbsp caraway seeds (or to your taste)
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1-2 lemons (to keep the cabbage pink; so the amount of lemons you need depends on the size of your red cabbage)
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- brown sugar to taste (optional)
- Using a Cuisinart (if possible), finely chop the red cabbage, onion and apples. Toss the red cabbage, apples, and onion in a large mixing bowl, mix well (see note).
- Sprinkle the caraway seeds and all spice over the salad (add brown sugar if desired), then toss again.
- Place everything into a large pot and add the apple juice. Cook on med-high heat, covered, until you hear the apple juice sizzling.
- Stir well, put the cover on and then turn it down to a simmer; cook for no more than 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn off the burner, uncover the pot, stir everything up, and let the mixture sit and cool on the stove for about a half hour or so.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled up to 10 days. The salad is best beginning after two days in the refrigerator.
- Note: Sprinkle lemon juice over the cabbage, so it stays pink, instead of turning gray, throughout the cooking process (approximately 10 minutes).
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings