Italian-style Meatloaf a la Nana/Mom/Me
- 2-3 Onions, caramelized
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 lbs combo of ground veal, beef and pork in equal proportions (if you are lucky enough to have a good butcher they can do this for you!)
- 2 eggs
- 1 kaiser roll, or 2 slices of bread or in my case, 1 gluten-free roll
- 1 cup milk - whole, low-fat or skim - whatever you have on hand
- 2 Tbsp Parsley, minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup grated cheese- pecorino romano OR parmesan
- 1 Jar or can tomatoes, pureed in blender
- Surprise Ingredient - you need to scroll through recipe!!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Caramelize the onions in 2 Tbsp olive oil. This takes about 20 + minutes
- Add the minced garlic at the end so it doesn't get burned but cooks enough to get aromatic and soft.
- While the onions are caramelizing, soak the roll in the milk until is is mushy and breaks into pieces.
- Mix the meat, eggs, salt, pepper, parsley, grated cheese and soaked roll together until well blended.
- And the add the caramelized onion and garlic mixture. This is truly what makes this meatloaf so good!!
- Put 2 Tbsp olive oil in your baking dish and place in your preheated oven to heat the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, form the bottom layer of your meatloaf in the heated oil and add sliced CHEDDAR CHEESE before you put your top layer on.
- Pour your pureed tomato sauce over the top and bake for about an hour until bubbling and slightly browned on top.
- Serve with roasted regular and sweet potatoes or mashed and sauteed spinach.
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour & 30 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings