Heirloom Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 10” springform pan greased (or wax/parchment paper will do)
- 1 12 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 6 eggs – separated, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon Bailey’s Irish Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 2 cups Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Bailey's Irish Cream
- 2 oz chocolate curls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler.
- Beat yolks in large bowl ( 5 mins., or until thick).
- Beat in ½ c. sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Stir in chocolate, pecans, vanilla and Bailey’s.
- Beat whites with cream of tartar to soft peaks.
- Gradually add remaining ½.c. remaining sugar. Beat stiff, not dry.
- Fold ¼ of whites into the chocolate cake mix.
- Fold the mix into the remaining whites.
- Pour into pan and bake 30 minutes @ 350 degrees.
- Reduce oven to 275. Continue to bake 30 minutes.
- Turn off oven. Let cake stand in oven with door slightly ajar. About 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Dampen towel and place on top of cake for 5 minutes. Remove.
- Top of cake will crack and fall. Cool cake in pan.
- Remove springform when cool. Transfer cake to platter.
- Whip cream to soft peak. Beat in powdered sugar and remaining Bailey’s.
- Spoon over top of cake and smooth. Sprinkle with chocolate curls.
- Refrigerate 6 hours.
- Let stand at room temp for 30 minutes before serving.
- Prep time: 30 mins
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Total time: 2 hours
Yield: 6-8 servings