Cobweb Cupcake Icing
- 2 egg whites
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- Black or Brown Food coloring
- Make whatever kind of cupcakes you like - from scratch or mix
To make Icing Directions
- Place the egg whites in a bowl. Using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat until soft peaks form.
- Add the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and orange juice and continue to beat until thick and shiny.
- If too thick, add more orange juice. If too thin, add more confectioners' sugar.
- Transfer 1/3 of the icing to a small bowl and color with black or dark brown food coloring.
- Spoon this dark icing into a pastry bag fitted with a tip, or pour it into a plastic squeeze bottle.
Now, ice the cupcakes and make the cobwebs: Directions
- Spoon the white icing into the center of the cupcake and spread with a small spatula or butter knife.
- Starting at the center of a cupcake, pipe a spiral of the dark icing from the center to the outer edge.
- Drag a sharp knife point from the center of the spiral to the edge of the cupcake.
- Wipe the knife clean, move about a 1/2-inch to the left or right and drag the knife in the opposite direction from the outer edge to the middle of the cupcake.
- Continue in this way until you have worked your way around the cupcake and formed the cobweb.
- Repeat with the remaining cupcakes.
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: Frost 2 dozen cupcakes